Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
16 December 2003, 7:00 am, LaPeep's Restaurant, 8081 E Orchard, Englewood, CO
Present: Curt Ahrendsen, Debby Barton (late), Laurie Batchelder-Adams, Leonard Butler, John Briest, Kathy Claes, Roger Doak, Stephen Gillette, Jim Kriss (late), Mark McMullen, and Dick Sprague
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions. Ahrendsen took minutes until Barton arrived at 7:50 am.
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 7:15 am as 9 of 11 members were present.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA: No additions to the agenda were proposed
Approval of August Board of Director Meeting Minutes: Ahrendsen will send out the minutes via email for recommendation to read and adopt via email.
Approval of November Meeting Minutes: Gillette/Butler moved/seconded to approve the November meeting minutes. Motion carried unanimously with no discussion.
Treasurer's Report: Kriss reported that the SWANA books are balanced and he has the draft annual financial report completed. He had to transfer $2000 from savings into checking to meet expense obligations and to balance. He will forward to Curt Ahrendson. Currently SWANA's accounting is done on Quicken. Sprague/McMullen moved/seconded to have Kriss forward the annual financial report to Ahrendsen for review and if no disagreement exists, the report will be forwarded to Barton to include in the full annual progress report to national SWANA. Ahrendsen, Kriss and McMullen will work together on transferring the accounting and checking account signature cards. Discussion held that in the past balancing the books had been a problem until Kriss took the books over and got into working order. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
Budget: Sprague had emailed updated budget report to board members based on the November comments. Discussion held that no income shown for the CD Savings Account. Consensus reached to show $500 income for the year. Kriss commented that we do not receive any income from the e-commerce loan until the end of the period so no income can be expected next year. Ahrendsen will make the changes discussed and email to board members prior to the next meeting so a full budget can be adopted. Discussion held to make this an e-vote before year's end if possible.
Audit: Kriss stated that books balanced after transferring $2000 from savings into checkbook. There appears to have been no penalty pulling the $2000 from the savings.
Membership: Claes states that she hasn't seen any of the membership reports from national. Briest gave her reports from October and November of 2003. It was noted that Claes would send out a list of delinquent members to the Board and assign the members of the Board a list of people to call (most likely 2 members per board member)
Programs: Butler indicated he had 10 registrants for the January meeting already. Briest inquired if a form should be generated in order to better track the costs in regards to programs or if one should be generated. McMullen indicated one was available and he would forward this to Butler and Briest. Batchelder-Adams indicated she had spoken to Bob Edmiston with Mesa County on a lunch seminar in regards to tarping regulations and the authority or lack thereof, for landfills to impose such rules.
Road-E-O: McMullen reported that there will be no planned Road-E-O this year due to work constraints and lack of interest level in the state.
Legislative: Batchelder-Adams stated that the energy bill was killed in the US Congress. There was nothing to report on the state level.
International Board: No report at this time.
Annual Progress Report: Barton presented the final draft to the board. She will add Sprague as attending Wastecon 2003 along with Batchelder-Adams as representatives of the board. Comment will be included under paragraph 9, membership that the membership campaign is in conjunction with the annual meeting as well as making efforts to contact past due and/or delinquent members to encourage them to bring dues current. Under paragraph 10 will add a comment for support from national office is to keep the quarterly report. Under paragraph 11, discussion held about chapter partnering. The term was clarified as meaning the chapter participates with national on training. In the past, the chapter was expected to put up front a sizable monetary "donation" as well as additional financial support that this chapter has been unable to afford. Consensus was that we are not interested in partnering because of the inability to afford with our current budget constraints. However, we are willing to help assist in coordinating and work with and even participate in training, such as the Denver Training School in April 2003. These comments will be incorporated into the final report.
Website: Doak reported on his research. Using pair network versus net solutions to host and maintain a website. He also researched getting a domain name. Domain Name is $19 per year or $51 for three years. If join in December we would get a 24% discount. There is a $20 set up fee plus a $5.95 per month maintenance fee. At this time various domain names are available for .net, .org, .gov. There would be 100 mg space on the server with e-mail forward and auto response. Additional fees if we want guest book, counters for number of visitors, message boards and similar. A web master to set up would be $50 plus $20 per hour for webmaster. Doak figured cost for the first year based on 2 hours of labor would be about $250. Briest reported on his research into Summit as being $1550 per year for a 5 page website. Ahrendsen/Batchelder-Adams moved/seconded to have Roger Doak obtain a final proposal/contract to pursue and execute an agreement to use pair network effective December 2003 to use the discount and to use the domain name of ColoradoSwana.org. No further discussion, motion carried unanimously.
Newsletter: Kriss reported newsletter out and he hasn't gotten a response on the notice that in future the newsletter will be email. He asked for clarification on sending out newsletter to those members without email. Discussion held but no firm consensus reached. Discussion held to put the newsletter on to the website to allow download.
Two board members, Sprague and Batchelder-Adams had to leave at 8:30. Barton/Ahrendson moved/seconded that meeting be adjourned. Meeting was adjourned at 8:50 am. Next meeting will be 20 January 2004 at 10:30 am at Waste Management Offices, 8310 S Valley Hwy, Ste 200, Englewood.
NEXT BOARD MEETING(S)
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES TO NOTE
Weaver Boos Consultants, LLC
John Briest, P.E.,
Optimizing resources: water, air, earth
Skumatz Economic Research Associates
Consulting to governments and utilitieswww.serainc.com