Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
17 February 2004 , 7:00 am, LaPeep's Restaurant, 8081 E Orchard, Englewood, CO
Present: Curt Ahrendsen (arrived 7:30 am), Debby Barton, Laurie Batchelder Adams, Leonard Butler, John Briest, Roger Doak, Stephen Gillette, Mark McMullen, and Dick Sprague
Absent: Kathy Claes and Jim Kriss
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions.
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 7:05 am as 8 of 11 members were present.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA: No additions to agenda given
Approval of January Board of Director Meetings: Sprague/Gillette moved/seconded to approve minutes of 20 January 2004 with spelling correction for Erin Doak. Motion carried unanimously.
Treasurer's Report: Ahrendsen reported checking balance of $2,712.31, savings balance of $21,353.58 and the e-business loan balance of $10,000. Expenses since 1 January 2004 include Board meeting and January program combined, finance/activity bank charge, and other expenses (primarily website). Income includes technical meetings, ads and other income, interest, dues from national and a late payment from the annual meeting. Ahrendsen will breakout the expenses of the Board from programs. He will verify the $30 other expense listed as ins and legal costs. He will be sending signature paperwork to Sprague to finalize the transfer of the banking accounts.
Budget: McMullen had emailed an updated proposed budget. General discussion held on whether to try to balance this year's budget since some upfront one time costs for website were this year. Discussion held on setting a goal for making a "profit" so money would be available for scholarships and related member support. Discussion held on whether the member versus nonmember costs for registrations was significantly different to encourage membership. Discussion held on how to gain income to maintain the website (anticipated at $40 per month). Board conducted a line by line review.
Membership: Claes unable to attend, but did email her report to the Board on Monday, 16 February. We have 115 current members with 15 renewals. There were 19 past due members, 5 are no longer in their positions, 2 could not pay due to internal budget cuts, 4 have checks in the mail, 2 were unaware they were delinquent which leave 4 to follow up. The Chapter membership directory has been updated and can be added to website or emailed to Board/anyone. Discussion held on need to do a phone survey at time of the annual meeting to update and/or generate membership. Discussion again held on whether the differential rate between member and nonmember was enough. Further discussion will be deferred to a later date. Recommendation to email to Kathy to see how membership has fluctuated.
Programs: Butler stated that March is set up and ready to go with Dr. John Skanga talking the technical aspects of disposal of diseased animal carcasses and Glen Mallory filling in the regulatory allowance. CEU form also ready. January meeting made $22.13. Still working on the May meeting to be held either NE or SE corner in cooperation with CDPHE on financial assurance for rural landfills. Plans are still to be a half-day class.
Annual Meeting: Discussion held on when and where to hold the annual meeting. Everyone was reminded that WASTECON is the week of 19 September 2004 in Phoenix . Discussion held on hosting the meeting in October in the Northeast/Northcentral area of the state. Butler/Ahrendsen moved/seconded that the annual meeting should be 7-8 October 2004 in Estes Park . Gillette will work with the Estes Park area to find meeting locations and costs. With no further discussion, motion was passed unanimously.
Road-E-O: See discussion under budget line item. Tentative positive date and location are DIA on 8 May. Backup date of 15 May will be researched. Committee will be meeting Thursday, 19 February to discuss registration packet, scholarship criteria, and other details. The fee is anticipated to be $125 for registration. Still needed are pictures of the area proposed which will go to national to obtain the necessary insurance.
Legislative: HB1275 deposit bill of $.10 per plastic bottle was introduced to committee and posponed indefinitely (effectively killed) on 16 Feb. SB 91 has been passed to the senate floor unamended but is facing opposition from some of the larger haulers in the state. Concern is that smaller haulers may be negatively impacted when areas are annexed into cities that provide hauling service and close off private haulers. [Note: SB 91 was killed on the senate floor after this meeting] Discussion held on how to best transfer the table format on state and national legislative activities onto the web page. Tabular format will be given to Erin Doak to put on the web page. The recycling and scrap tire regulations have been passed by the Colorado Board of Health and will be effective 1 March 2004 . Question was raised on if the report will be retroactive to 1 January this year. The report is due in May. CDPHE staff will be meeting and working on details of the approved regulations.
International Board: Batchelder Adams reported that she is not at liberty to share much of what is discussed at the IB Executive committee meetings until the information is cleared back to the international Board. The e-voting is out for the change on bylaws. Sprague asked what criteria is used to determine quorum on the vote. [There is no requirement for number of qualified members to vote on issues such as the bylaws change currently proposed, majority rules.] Batchelder Adams prepared a short blurb on the e vote which was forwarded to members by Claes to urge them to vote. SWANA is calling for applications for excellence awards with a deadline of 2 April. Last year Mesa County received recognition for their household hazardous waste center. This year Boulder county is applying based on their recycling center. Gillette asked if Larimer County could apply for their education center. Batchelder Adams stated he could apply.
Website: Erin Doak wanted clarification and approval to provide the administrative support services at $40 per month. Discussion held that this was the intent of the Board last December. Consensus is to go ahead with using Erin Doak for the website to cleanup and do monthly maintenance activity. Discussion held on whether it is time to notify the national office of the new web link.
Newsletter: Briest will email Kriss concerning the status of the newsletter.
Miscellaneous: CAFR meeting will be 7-8 June in Breckenridge , CO . A "free" US EPA 2-day seminar on alternate final caps is being held at Adams Mark Hotel , Denver on 9-10 March. Butler will send info to the Board.
With no further business, meeting adjourned at 9:01 am . Next Board meeting will be 10:30 am , Tuesday, 16 March 2004 , at Waste Management Offices.
NEXT BOARD MEETING(S)
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES TO NOTE
Enviromental Consultants and Contractors
Weaver Boos Consultants, LLC
John Briest, P.E.,
Geotech Environmental Equipment, Inc.
Ground Water Sampling, Monitoring & Remediation Equipment
Ronald D. Resseguie,