Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
20 April 2004, 7 am, Gemini Restaurant, 4800 Wadsworth Blvd, Wheat Ridge, CO
Present: Curt Ahrendsen, Debby Barton, Leonard Butler, Laurie Batchelder Adams, John Briest, and Jim Kriss
Absent: Kathy Claes, Roger Doak, Stephen Gillette, Dick Sprague, and Mark McMullen
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions.
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 7:18 as 6 of 11 members present (Doak, Gillette, McMullen & Sprague had notified Briest of their unavailability for the meeting).
ADOPTION OF AGENDA: No additions to agenda
Approval of March Board of Director Meetings: Batchelder Adams/Ahrendsen moved/seconded to approve minutes of 16 March 2004. Motion carried unanimously.
Treasurer's Report: Ahrendsen provided copies of financial report reflecting actual income/expenses against budget items. Consensus was that format will be great with the breakout of income/expenses for the various luncheon programs. Butler commented that $48 profit has been made from the two programs to date. Checking balance is $3,640.XX and the savings balance is $21,353.58 as of 19 April 20004. An outstanding bill for Erin Doak will be paid this week for web design efforts. Cost was previously approved. Ahrendsen will email updated financial to board members and will report exact checking balance for inclusion in the minutes.
Membership: Claes absent but had emailed report that membership had increase3d by 22.
Programs: Butler reported that Northeast operators group already had program so were not interested in participating with SWANA and CDPHE on a financial assurance class. There is no formal group in the Southeast, Butler prepared a program based on the upcoming storm water regulations which will no longer exempt municipalities. Batchelder Adams raised concern that we are using Waste Management offices a lot and should consider alternative locations such as Jefferson County or CDPHE. Butler will check into this and get out by end of week to the members.
Annual Meeting: Call for papers is out with a 14 May deadline – nothing has been received to date. Review of papers will be by 28 May. Butler asked who was on the program committee. Minutes reviewed from March – to date Butler and Barton are on the program committee and Claes has volunteered to produce the program. Discussion held that a third person should be added. Gillette was recommended. As he was not present, final decision will be made at May board meeting. Butler has reserved the Stanley with a $250 deposit on his credit card for the Friday night dinner. Final contract will be required by 30 April. Rest of logistics looks okay. Consensus is that after the May board meeting, the annual meeting planning committee will put together the proposed program with the goal of finalizing by end of June to present at the July board meeting. One idea broached by directors present was to emphasize environmental compliance such as the storm water, spill prevention plan updates, APENS, and related items.
Road-E-O: None of committee present. McMullen had emailed an update to Briest. 1) May 8 is the date for the event at the Mount Elbert Overflow parking at DIA; 2) Registrations due 20 April 2004. 3) No registrations on hand but anticipating 17 or 18 participants; 4) insurance received; 5) volunteers needed (Barton stated she was planning on assisting); and 6) event planned for 6 am to 1 pm. No report on status of sponsors.
Legislative: HAB1428 concerning extension of tire monofill moratorium to 2014 introduced late. Also includes provision for existing tire monofills to report every 2 years. CAFR is interested in the bill.
International Board: Batchelder Adams has been nominated for the international secretary position. Voting will take place by WasteCon. If elected, she will be on the ladder to presidency in 5 years. Batchelder Adams asked if Colorado is interested in hosting an arid landfill symposium in 2005 or do we want to do so with a partnership with another state chapter. Consensus reached that Colorado would be willing to host the 2005 arid landfill symposium with an active co-host. Next international board meeting is in June. Further discussion on this issue can be held at the May board meeting.
Website: The website has officially moved to the new address. Still some items needing touching up. Batchelder Adams asked if updates to the web could be done every two weeks during the legislative session and what would the cost be. This item would be for the next year not this year. Briest will check on status of updated minutes and program to the website. Barton will verify that the material was forwarded from her to Erin. Consensus reached that whatever is sent to the greater board would also be sent to Erin to keep him abreast of happenings for possible posting to website.
Newsletter: Kriss will wrap up the newsletter by the end of the week and will email to Kathy Claes to forward via email to membership. He will also email to Erin Doak for website. Next newsletter will be end of summer to capture details on the annual meeting.
Discussion held on next meeting locations. May board meeting will be at 10:30 am before the program depending on location for the program. There will be no June meeting but the July meeting will be third Tuesday (20 July). July agenda will be the annual meeting, newsletter, and international board meeting report as a minimum. With no further business, meeting adjourned at 8:15 am.
NEXT BOARD MEETING(S)
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES TO NOTE
Enviromental Consultants and Contractors
Weaver Boos Consultants, LLC
John Briest, P.E.,
Optimizing resources: water, air, earth