Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
18 May 2004, 10:30 am, Buffalo Bill Room, JeffCo Admin, 100 Jefferson County Parkway, Golden
Present: Debby Barton, Leonard Butler, Laurie Batchelder Adams, John Briest, Roger Doak, Stephen Gillette, Mark McMullen, and Dick Sprague
Absent: Curt Ahrendsen, Kathy Claes, and Jim Kriss
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions.
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 10:35 as 7 of 11 members present, Batchelder Adams arrived at 10:45 (Ahrednsen had notified Briest of his unavailability for the meeting).
ADOPTION OF AGENDA: No additions to agenda
Approval of March Board of Director Meetings: Butler/Gillette moved/seconded to approve minutes of 20 April 2004. Motion carried unanimously. Note that the actual checking amount listed in the minutes will be carried without the correct cents.
Treasurer's Report: McMullen brought treasurer’s report for Ahrendsen. Checking balance is $10,742.00 and the savings balance is $17,353.58. All expenses have been paid for the Road-E-O except approximately $84 for the grand champion driver’s jacket. Note that $4,000 had been moved from savings into checking to cover costs until registrations received. During the next board meeting (July), board will need to consider how much money to move into savings.
Membership: Claes absent so no report.
Programs: Butler stated 22 people had signed up for the storm water luncheon program. The two presenters will be representing regulator (CDPHE) and regulated (private industry). Discussion held on having a July program as the annual meeting is in October and the consensus was no. The financial assurance class fell apart in the NE due to lack of interest. CDPHE was preparing a class for the SE even though no formal organization existed there. Discussion held that the class would still be good and might be held in abbreviated form for annual meeting or developing an outreach program for the winter in the southeast for financial assurance class.
Annual Meeting: Two abstracts received. Butler and Barton will get together via phone in the next two or three weeks to develop agenda/topics list and possible presenters. Butler asked for topics. Discussion held on possible class for meth lab awareness. Discussion held on upcoming concerns with the handling of mold in construction debris. A panel or technical session on the 3 M’s (Mold, Meth and Methane) was thrown out during brainstorming. Consensus was need to have some diversity for the program.
Road-E-O: Mcmullen reported that this year’s Road-E-O made a profit of around $2,500 to $2,600 taking into account an approximate $1200 to $1500 stipend for the grand champion to go to the international road-e-o in Denton, Texas. Much better than last year. There were 27 registrants but only 25 actually competed. About 40 volunteers were present. The actual driving competition began around 9 am and the final drive off with awards and clean up was done by about 1:30 pm. McMullen recommended that a formal thank you be sent to the sponsors by the president. Briest will contact Adam Lovato to obtain the sponsor list and send letters of appreciation. McMullen moved that a stipend of $1200 be set aside for the grand champion to attend the international event with money to be used for registration and travel. Discussion ensured on how to ensure that proper accounting was obtained. Briest will contact Adam Lovato, supervisor of grand champion, to determine the best way to reimburse for the costs. Last year the board paid the registration directly and then reimbursed other expenses based on receipts. McMullen withdrew motion from the floor as no second was obtained. Final decision will be reached during the July meeting. McMullen will write a short article on the road-e-o to be posted to the web site along with photos taken by Doak and Batchelder Adams. The article may be expanded for the summer newsletter.
Legislative: HB1428, the moratorium on tire monofills, was sent to the governor’s desk for approval.
International Board: Batchelder Adams will be attending the meeting in June. On the table will be some discussion on the payment of the general liability D&O for chapters and how to best provide the benefit for chapters as well as obtaining payment equitably.
Website: Briest reported he is working on getting sponsors for the website. Comment made that we need to emphasize the sponsors from the road-e-o on the web site also. Question asked about a counter on the web site. Briest commented that having a counter is a selling point with potential sponsors because they want to know how many actually visit the website. Discussion held on needing to promote the website for the members AND nonmembers. Ahrendsen sent check to Erin Doak for payment on work to date.
Newsletter: Newsletter went out. Batchelder Adams asked if hard copy could be sent to Grand County. This also includes hard copy of program announcements. She will get with Claes.
SWANA Officer’s Call: Next scheduled telephone conference call is 25 May at 11 am. Batchelder Adams encouraged all to participate or at least call in and listen.
SWANA Training Center: Discussion held on the lack of promotional coordination between national and the chapter for the training center as there were people attending from Colorado who were not aware of the Colorado chapter. Discussion held that the chapter did not have the time to do much work with the national but was willing to earmark money to help with hosting a reception. Butler asked Batchelder Adams to report to IB board about the need to use the national events to promote local chapters and to better respond to local chapters who wish to participate in some manner.
Colorado Association for Recycling (CAFR) Attendance/Support: Batchelder Adams asked if any board members were attending CAFR and if the board wished to partially reimburse board members to attend. Besides Batchelder Adams, both Gillette and Barton will be attending with their registration and travel paid by their organizations.
Scholarship Committee: Discussion held on the need to develop guidelines and policies for scholarships, develop outreach/notices and having a committee reviewing applications and making recommendations to the board for awards. McMullen volunteered to draft some guidelines and policies for the board to review during the July meeting. Discussion held on needing to amend the bylaws. Barton and Sprague both confirmed that the bylaws allow the president to appoint committees that will function for one year. No bylaws changes required.
Nominations Committee: Discussion held that nominations would need to be developed for the October meeting. Per bylaws on hand, the president sits on the committee. Sprague and Barton commented this appears to be a typo as the past president has historically been the chair on the committee with two other members. McMullen volunteered to sit on the committee with Sprague and Briest. Barton will review last year’s minutes and bylaws discussions to confirm if a typo was made or if a bylaws change needs to be incorporated. Consensus reached that each board member and officer will be asked if they are interested in continuing to serve. Barton confirmed that the bylaws (Section 6.11) state that the directors serve one year (the international board member is two years) and that an officer can not serve more than two years unless otherwise approved by the membership. Butler is the only officer that has served two years in the same position. Batchelder Adams was elected as the IB board member at the September meeting so will be continuing one more year. The nominations committee will report back to the July board meeting with recommended slate.
Arid Symposium, 2005: Batchelder Adams has been in contact with Nebraska, Oklahoma and Kansas about co-hosting an arid symposium. Nebraska declined stating only western portion of Nebraska would fit criteria. Butler commented that ACAP is in process at Omaha so perhaps interest would be greater in eastern Nebraska than folks realize. Nothing back yet from Oklahoma or Kansas. If those two are not interested, perhaps co-hosting with New Mexico or Arizona for 2005 would be a possibility. Batchelder Adams will continue to pursue and report to board as well as IB board.
There will be no June meeting. July meeting will be third Tuesday (20 July). Location and time will be determined by president. With no further business, meeting adjourned at 11:48 am.
ASSIGNMENTS FOR JULY BOARD MEETING (extra to normal duties):
NEXT BOARD MEETING(S)
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES TO NOTE
Weaver Boos Consultants, LLC
John Briest, P.E.,
Enviromental Consultants and Contractors
Skumatz Economic Research Associates
Consulting to governments and utilitieswww.serainc.com