Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
17 January 2006, 7 am, The Pancake House, 8000 E. Belleview Ave., Greenwood Village, CO
Present: Debby Barton, Laurie Batchelder Adams, John Briest, Leonard Butler, Kathy Claes, Cindi Etcheverry, Stephen Gillette, Susie Gordon, Cathryn Stewart
Absent: Roger Doak, Dick Sprague (work travel)
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions.
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 7:06 as 8 of 11 directors present for a quorum. (Note: Briest arrived a few minutes after meeting started). Butler welcomed Susie Gordon as a new director for the chapter.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA: Gillette/Batchelder Adams moved/seconded to adopt the agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
Minutes were emailed to all board members. Batchelder Adams/Gillette moved/seconded to adopt the minutes for the 13 December 2005 board meeting. Motion carried unanimously.
Gillette reported a balance of $9,876.53 in checking, $17,246.37 in savings and the e-loan investment of $10,000. He has put the savings into a 182 certificate at a 3.65% instead of the 3.18%. Currently Gillette is the only signer on the account. He brought the necessary paperwork to add Leonard Butler as a co-signer. He suggested that the chapter obtain two debit cards, one for Gillette and one for Butler to use when checks are not acceptable. The charge for the cards would be $1 per card per month. Barton/Batchelder Adams moved/seconded to authorize Stephen Gillette to obtain two debit cards at a charge of $2 per month. Motion carried unanimously. Discussion held that all usage of the debit cards would be verified with receipts presented to the board of directors for approval.
COMMITTEE REPORTS and ASSIGNMENTS:
Membership: Claes provided a detailed breakout of membership as of 31 December. She had contacted Herzog Environmental to follow up on Mr. Houck’s unpaid membership and found that he is apparently no longer with the company. She also contacted other individuals whose membership has lapsed. Butler had sent a copy of the current member mailing list, unpaid members and new members. Briest will continue to send letters to the new members. Gillette reported that the membership reimbursement from National was still being sent to Curt Ahrendsen. Gillette has worked with national to get the records straightened out and to convert the payment to an ACH (automatic deposit) to preclude checks being lost in the mail, especially during transitions between treasurers.
Newsletter: Status of articles was reviewed with following results.
- Annual Meeting 2005 Summary – Assigned to Roger Doak. Butler will follow up with Doak
- Annual Meeting 2006 Heads Up. Butler will draft a quick notice article and submit to Sprague
- Financial Report and 2006 Budget – Stephen Gillette. Article will be drafted and sent to Sprague.
- Legislative Outlook – Laurie Batchelder Adams. Article completed
- President’s Corner – Leonard Butler. Article completed.
- Regulatory Changes and Updates – Roger Doak. Butler will follow up with Doak.
- Scholarship/Professional Development – John Briest. He will be submitting.
- Technical Program (February) – Butler will provide article.
- IB Report – Laurie Batchelder Adams. Article completed.
Annual Meeting 2006: Discussion held on offer from Alamosa to host the 2006 meeting. Batchelder Adams/Claes moved/seconded to select Alamosa and San Luis Valley for 2006 Annual Meeting to be held between 4 and 6 October 2006. Motion carried unanimously. Barton directed to notify the Alamosa Chamber of Commerce. Discussion on the potential of inviting Ken Salazar to speak as he will be serving on the national Bi Partisan Senate and House Caucus for recycling (see legislative report below). Discussion also held that a follow up to the February luncheon should be considered for the meeting agenda with the emphasis on options on meeting the law from 2005 SB 141.
Technical Programs: Draft agenda for the February workshop provided to the board. Consensus was to have the meeting held at the Waste Management Training Room (south Denver area). Meeting topic will be on changes ahead on Batteries, Oils and Tires based on 2005 SB 141. Discussion held that the presentation should be more than just hear the regulatory changes but options how implementation. Consensus was to look at having a follow up to the topic at the annual meeting. The second technical luncheon is scheduled for May 23 (note that this is the fourth Thursday of May) in Boulder. This would be a technical luncheon meeting but may start earlier to allow for a facility tour followed by the luncheon presentation. Details will be worked out during the March board meeting.
Scholarship: The notice on the scholarship program went out to the membership and there have been no return information requests to date. Briest mentioned it may be a bit early since the notice just went out. Batchelder Adams mentioned that one of the chapter members approached her about a student scholarship. National has scholarships but the local chapter must nominate recipients. The Board may be involved in student scholarships via the national nominating process.
Nominations: Chapter is growing at 5% and may need to consider expanding the board in the future. At present the board has 11 members. Susie Gordon was again welcomed.
Legislative: No report for state at this time, however there are two items of note nationally. The US Court of Appeals dismissed the case against Bioreactor Research so EPA will be going on with this process. The US House and Senate will be having a nonpartisan recycling caucus to include items such as e-waste, energy and related topics. Ken Salazar has stated his intent to serve in the caucus.
International Board: No new business to report. The next executive council meeting will be in February in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The full international board will be meeting in April.
Website/Webmaster: Briest will be sending out renewal notices to the five sponsors on the website: Golder, AquAeTer, LBA Associates, Weaver Boos, and Evergreen Analytical. He will also send out letters to potential sponsors. There is a $9.95 monthly web hosting fee. Discussion held on what announcements would be posted. Consensus was that Briest would vet all announcements to ensure there was a contact name, phone and email address for interested individuals to contact. The listing at the bottom of the minutes would be for board information only.
SWANA Officer’s Call: The next conference calls are scheduled for 11 am Mountain Time on: 24 January 2006 (Tuesday), 18 April 2006 (Tuesday) and 25 July 2006 (Tuesday). Any director may attend. Butler will send out information.
Next Board Meeting: 21 February 2006 at 10:30 am, Waste Management Offices, 10:30 am – 11:45 am before the technical session.
With no further business, meeting adjourned at 7:50 am.