Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
14 July 2006, 8am,
CDPHE Conference Room, 4300 Cherry Creek Dr S, Denver, CO 80246
plus Telephone Conference Call – 877-717-3803
Present: Debby Barton (phone – late), Laurie Batchelder Adams, John Briest (late), Leonard Butler, Kathy Claes (phone), Roger Doak, Stephen Gillette, Susie Gordon (phone), Dick Sprague, Cathryn Stewart
Absent: Cindi Etcheverry
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions.
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 8:08 as 8 of 11 directors present for a quorum. Note that Sprague took minutes until arrival of Barton during the membership committee report.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA: Batchelder Adams/Gillette moved/seconded to adopt the agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
June minutes previously approved via email.
Gillette reported that checking balance is $9,596.52 as of 27 June and savings balance is $17,565.91 as of 11 July. As the CD matured on 11 July, Gillette will reinvest. The CD interest was 3.75% and the new reinvestment will be at least 4.75%, and may be 5.25%. Gillette handed out to attendees copies of checkbook register.
COMMITTEE REPORTS and ASSIGNMENTS:
- Butler said that the June membership report was not available at the time of the meeting but he will forward to Board members when he obtains it.
- Claes said 5/06 membership report included 152 members, with 17 suspended.
- Claes attempted to contact each suspended member; did not reach all; about ½ are in process of getting payment through employer.
- Claes has membership directory up to date with 5/06 and will further update it with 6/06 prior to emailing to Board.
- Discussed membership survey; Batchelder Adams to update with SWANA National login instructions so that we can inform members on how to update their own information.
- Sprague asked if we should publish all info if a member requests not; Batchelder Adams stated that she wanted complete info; Stewart suggested that we honor requests to not publish email, but collect email addresses to complete our data; Board agreed with this approach.
- Claes will send membership directory to Board with assignments to each Board member regarding their assignments; each Board member to contact assigned members by August Board meeting, using survey form (emailed by Batchelder Adams) to update info, and collect feedback; Claes will update membership directory with info and publish prior to Annual Meeting.
NOTE: Taking of minutes transferred to Barton.
Technical Programs: The 14 July MSW Waste Screening class has 25 pre-enrolled at 5 remote sites. Roger Doak was thanked for helping arrange location and for participating and assisting in getting the internet class offered in Colorado. Discussion held on policy for late registrations and the need to be flexible for our members to attend the class. Big draw, besides meeting state requirements, was a reduction in the annual meeting registration fee.
Annual Meeting 2006:
- Sponsorship: Gordon will lead effort to obtain sponsors – she was given past meetings contact information and history of sponsors. If anyone else knows of other entities that may be interest then notify her. Cathryn will call Ted Miller and Associates, Doak will follow up with Doty & Associates as well as KRW. Stephen Gillette will follow up with Larimer County. Goal is to raise a minimum of $3700 from sponsorships. Butler will provide letter to Gordon detailing EIN and tax exempt information for use in requesting sponsorship.
- Speaker and speaker support needs: Each session moderator will find out speaker needs and coordinate getting any PowerPoint or computer load-ins by 2 October. Doak will be contact to load onto a computer and get ready for the presentations. Moderators will need to obtain bios and electronic needs by 15 August which is the next board meeting.
- Registrations: Speakers will need to register but list as complimentary registration (no charge). SWANA will not pay for travel or room. The complimentary registration applies only to the speakers.
- Thursday evening program: Cathryn is working on a not to exceed 45-minute program.
- Meals: Thursday meal by consensus was to have a buffet at about $13 per person. Two drink coupons will also be included in registration package for the evening reception. Friday breakfast will be a buffet with morning break of coffee, juice, fruit, and tea. Lunch for about 75 people will be an executive sandwich buffet. The afternoon break will be cookies, sodas, coffee, and tea.
- Door prizes: Claes will obtain the master gift card prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd to be drawn at end of day from those folks completing surveys and that are present. Barton will obtain Southwest Colorado or other locations specialty door prizes for use during the day. Grand prize for survey questionnaire completion will be $100. Discussion held to make sure the cards are useful throughout the state.
- Speaker gifts: Butler will obtain. Discussion held to keep them simple and relatively inexpensive.
- Other issues: Barton has the banner, lanyards, a few tags and badges. She will obtain inventory and send to Batchelder Adams so supplies will be obtained. Barton volunteered to make up name badges based on registration list.
- Registration table: Batchelder Adams and Gillette volunteered to run the table. Discussion held that the handouts should be collated into one folder as done last year. The handouts should include attendee list (Barton volunteered to prepare), agenda, CEU forms, Directory of membership, SWANA membership application, and information from the local chamber of commerce.
- Meeting Survey: Doak will update and forward to Gillette to include in the registration packet. This is the survey that will be used for the grand prize drawing.
- Invocation: Batchelder Adams declined. A volunteer is needed.
Educational Scholarship: Kaitlyn Edmiston was not awarded the national scholarship.
Professional Development: No requests received to date.
Nominations: Briest stated that the following people have agreed to serve as officers:
- President - John Briest
- VP – Laurie Batchelder Adams
- Secretary – Debby Barton
- Treasurer – Stephen Gillette.
Gordon is checking with her employer about continuing on the Board. Sprague won’t be able to attend about 1/3 of the meetings but is willing to serve if the membership elects him to the board again. Final ballot will be emailed to Barton to finalize and prepare to send out in the 30 to 60 day timeframe before the annual meeting. Electronic notice is allowed by the bylaws. Consensus was to have the completed ballots sent to Butler as Briest to preclude an appearance of conflict.
Legislative: No report.
International Board: No report.
Website/Webmaster: No report.
CDPHE Request for Colorado SWANA e-mailing list: CDPHE has the response and is working with their legal folks to complete and return to Butler.
Next Board Meeting: Consensus was to host a telephonic meeting at 7 am on 22 August (this is a change from the regularly scheduled meeting of 15 August). Butler will make the arrangements and notify the board.
With no further business, meeting adjourned at 9:33 am.