Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
7:00 am, June 19, 2007, The Egg & I, 6818 S Yosemite, Centennial, CO
Present: Kathy Andrew, Debby Barton, Laurie Batchelder Adams, John Briest, Leonard Butler*, Susie Gordon*, Tom Strickland
Absent: Roger Doak, Stephen Gillette, Neil Nowak, Dick Sprague, Cathryn Stewart
Others Present: Matthias Barton
|| * - Member arrived after meeting called to order
** - Member had to leave before meeting was completed.
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions.
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 7:05 as 7 of 12 directors present for a quorum.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA: Gordon/Strickland Adams moved/seconded to adopt the agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
May meeting minutes previously approved via email.
Gillette not present to give his report, he had forwarded via email accounting status. Asset balances as of 1 June 2007 were $17,977.12 in Savings, $10,570.21 in checking and $16,153.25 e & t-investment loans. No outstanding dues or bills noted.
COMMITTEE REPORTS and ASSIGNMENTS:
Membership: Andrew stated that as of April there are 148 members with no membership outstanding. There are only 4 who are on s-mail, all others are e-mail. Andrew thanked the Board members for helping get the email addresses updated. To date there are no failures for delivery although a few of the emails require special handling.
- Annual Meeting: Strickland brought some completed color brochures for the annual meeting for any Board member wanting to take some to hand or mail out to interested parties. He will also send a .pdf file to Andrew to send out to the membership. Gordon/Batchelder Adams moved/seconded to reimburse Tom Strickland $26.47 for the printing including paper and related materials for the brochures published. Motion passed with one abstaining (Strickland). July meeting will include assignment of moderators to the program and deciding timeline for calling membership as well as sending out the ballot and other notices to the membership. Strickland commented that he changed all references to meeting or conference to just conference to be consistent in the program. The annual meeting questionnaire will be worked on at the July and August meeting. The survey questions for member calling will also be worked on and finalized at the next Board meeting.
- Technical/Luncheon Programs: Briest and Doak have arranged a technical program for Wednesday, 25 July 2007 at the CDPHE “War/Emergency Response” Room. Room will hold about 40 to 45 people total. The session will begin at 9 am and end by 2 pm with the program covering Waste Tire Hauler (Section 15) requirements, R’BOT (Section 16 Recycling of Batteries, Oil and Tires) requirements and an update on the implementation of HB07-1288. All three portions of the session reflect a 1 July 2007 implementation date. Consensus was that early registration would cut off on 20 July with fees of $10 for members and $25 for nonmembers. Box lunch would be provided for the fee. Late fee would be an additional $5 or $10. As room is limited, walk-ins would be discouraged and payment or purchase order required with registration. Briest will get a draft brochure to Andrew to send out via email blast to membership.
Educational Scholarship/Grants: No applications received to date.
Nominations: Draft ballot is almost done and will be sent out to the membership 30 to 60 days in advance of the meeting per the bylaws.
Legislative: Article is in the spring newsletter. There will be a stakeholders meeting on 12 July for CDPHE to work on the sustainable recycling bill (HB07-1288). Section 16 implementation will begin 1 July 2007. Discussion held on the impacts of global climate and pollution prevention on the solid waste industry. SWANA has been placing emphasis on the positive impacts of proper landfill and recycling management practices as it impacts climate change gases and carbon credits. Copy of the 2007 Legislative Session Wrap is attached to these minutes. Butler left at the end of the legislative report.
International Board: No report as the meeting will be in San Diego 22-24 June 2007. Both Sprague and Batchelder Adams will be attending.
Web site/Webmaster: Discussion held to include questions to the membership about service expansion on the website. Include information on whether the members want an online payment option or not. The Board should do cost comparison of using national versus Pay Pal or some other service provider to include security issues.
Newsletter: The newsletter is scheduled to go out by the end of June. Sprague is finalizing as all articles have been received.
Road-E-O: The Colorado Road-E-O will be held 18 August 2007 at the Boulder County Fairgrounds in Longmont. The goal for sponsorship is $5,000. Briest will contact national about the insurance to cover the event. National Road-E-O information has been hard to get.
Chapter Call: Debby sent out notes on the chapter call to all Board members. A copy of the notes is incorporated as an attachment to these minutes.
Future Planning: Briest will send out the planning calendar to the Board members within the next week.
Geotechnical Stakeholder Meeting: Next meeting is scheduled for 3 July at CDPHE. They are continuing to work on guidance documents on alternative final cover. The process is very slow but meticulous. Briest and Butler are involved in the meeting.
Green Print, Denver: Gordon mentioned that there is a strong waste and environmental component in the master plan for Denver.
National Recycling Coalition Congress, Denver: Gordon mentioned that the chapter may want to consider having a presence at the NRC Congress which will be in September in Denver.
Next Board Meeting: The next Board meeting will be the 25 July, the fourth Wednesday. Meeting location will probably be at CDPHE and the time may be 8 am. More details will be sent.
Gordon left meeting at 8:27 am. As there no longer was a quorum present, the meeting was adjourned.
A - Legislative Committee Report
B - SWANA Officer’s Call Notes (13 June 2007, 12:00 – 1:00 pm)