Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
7:00 am, 21 September 2007, Telephone Conference Call
Present: Kathy Andrew, Debby Barton, John Briest, Leonard Butler, Stephen Gillette*, Susie Gordon, Neil Nowak, Dick Sprague, Cathryn Stewart, Tom Strickland
Absent: Laurie Batchelder Adams, Roger Doak
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions. Briest requested that the minutes reflect appreciation for Tom Strickland and the city and county of Denver for hosting the SWANA Board meeting.
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 7:04 as 10 of 12 directors present for a quorum.
August meeting minutes previously approved via email.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA:
Gillette/Andrew moved/seconded to adopt the agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
Gillette stated there is $9,252.06 in checking, $18,419.80 in savings and the assets remain the same for t-loans and e-loans with national SWANA. He will send a hard copy to Barton for the records. The Road-E-O had gross receipts of $6,850 of which he has received $6,100 to date. The $750 from Denver is in process. Road-E-O expenses as reported totals $6,427.75 of which he has received $3,945.88 in receipts from the city of Longmont. He has not received a receipt for 356.87 for the additional t-shirts purchased for the event. There is still $254.12 outstanding. The receipt to Boulder was for $95 but payment was $195 which is assumed to include a non refundable deposit of $100. Briest will continue to request receipts from Longmont.
COMMITTEE REPORTS and ASSIGNMENTS:
Membership: Andrew not present but reported there are 149 members, 3 are unpaid who have been contacted: Heath Cardia, Scott Guoyot and Mark McClain. She has received no response from them to date. The July reimbursement includes 29 renewals. She has completed the directory and will be printing it the week of 24 September. Strickland offered to print the directory to put into the folders he is preparing for the annual meeting.
- Technical Program: A tentative program is planned for December depending on whether Evergreen Analytical Laboratory is still interested in hosting a meeting. Briest will check with Patty McClellan and get back to the Board on possible dates. One idea presented for consideration of a technical program would be Defensive Driving class for the spring. Gordon asked if any CEU would be available and consensus was probably not. Further discussion on the idea will be held at the November Board meeting.
- Annual Meeting: The bulk of the Board meeting was directed towards the final plans for the annual meeting in Rocky Ford, 4-5 October 2007.
- Questionnaire – Strickland: See h below.
- Program/ Speaker Updates - Stewart: Jim Mapes on non friable asbestos is not able to speak however this is a possible topic for a future technical session. Mark McMullen is not available. Doak contacted Marsha Willheit, town of Holly to speak on small rural landfills. Decision was to allow Track 4 to be longer and to have only the one speaker for Track 5. Nowak is moderating the panel discussion with the idea of having only 4 members on the panel. The panel is currently Charles Johnson (regulator), Stephen Gillette (large landfill & recycling), Debby Barton (small landfill west slope), and possibly Marsha Willheit (small landfill plains). Each Board member was tasked to bring at least one question for the panel to help get the discussions started.
- Presentations submitted to Doak: Moderators need to stress to their speakers to get the presentations to Doak as soon as possible but no later than 27 September 2007 so he has time to load and test. Barton is bringing a backup projector. Sprague is bringing a backup laptop.
- Speaker Gifts update – Briest: Briest is getting $20 gift certificates from Barnes and Noble as speaker gifts. Barton, Butler and Gordon requested to not receive any speaker gifts and leave the money for SWANA use.
- Solid Waste Interactive (): There will be a trash trivia to get folks back from the break. The individuals will have to answer correctly to get a gift. Briest suggested that the Board members provide a “goof type” story from industry which the listeners decide on the best story heard. This would be a contest at the banquet. Butler commented that South Dakota Solid Waste Management Association does something similar at their annual meeting.
- Sponsorships – Gillette/Gordon (are there any requested): Sponsors to date are okay although there is a need to reverify available space. Gordon and Briest will work on the logos.
- Lanyards/badges/badge tags/ - Briest: No lanyards have been received to date. Briest will follow up with national. Barton will make the name tags and will have pin ons as a backup in case no lanyards with tags are available.
- Production of directory/questionnaire/program/CEU form: Directory will be printed by Denver and put into the folders (see discussion under membership above). Questionnaire is completed and ready to print. Strickland is also including the contact sheet with the program for the folders. CEU form is completed and ready to put into the folders. Strickland will have the folders ready before the annual meeting. He has ordered 10 train whistles – 10 are wooden and 10 are metal to be used for give away. There are also some train hats for give away. He also has a DVD, “An Inconvenient Truth” which can be used as a give away. Discussion held on also obtaining an alternative to this DVD to allow individuals a choice. Further discussion on whether this was appropriate as the meeting has information on climate change and this might be counterproductive. Consensus was to have the DVD available and make final decision at the meeting.
- Registration Desk (who will attend): Gordon, Andrew and Barton volunteered to work on the registration desk.
- Number of attendees – contact caterer – Gillette: Requires knowing which speakers need food so he can get an accurate count for the caterer. He will remain the primary contact for all things edible. There is a microphone setup and podium but no screen. Strickland will verify if he can borrow a large screen. Barton agreed to bring a large white sheet as a back up for the wall presentations. The tables will all have tablecloths for all sessions. There is some confusion about sponsors and meals. Gordon will verify with sponsors concerning the payment of meals.
- Logos for sponsors: See discussion under f above.
- Board Name tags – Gordon: the price for the name tags is $9.50 per tag. Barton volunteered to send what logos she had to Gordon to use for the name tags. Strickland/Sprague moved/seconded to direct Susie Gordon to obtain the name tags for the chapter Board members. Motion carried unanimously.
- PowerPoint of Board Activities – Briest: Briest is looking for pictures to include in the presentation.
- Catering coordination – Gillette: See discussion under j above.
- Scholarship applications: None received to date.
- Survey: Consensus was to have a drawing for a two 75 and one 100 gift card from those that turn in survey. Barton will provide the tickets. Andrew will get the gift cards. Consensus was that Board members should not be eligible to participate in the drawing.
Briest thanks Strickland, Stewart and Gillette for all the work they have done in bringing the annual meeting together. Stewart thanked all those that helped fill in the gaps on the presentations and for the help in getting speakers lined up.
Educational Scholarship/Grants: Briest will send to Gordon the completed letter to Kaitlyn Edmiston on the receipt of her scholarship. Gordon will take the letter over to Gillette to pick up the check and mail out the letter with check.
Nominations: Butler reported 30 ballots have been received to date for the annual election. Ballots can be turned in up to the banquet on 4 October 2007. Butler will bring some extra ballots to the meeting.
Legislative: No formal report. Sprague reported that congress may pass a bill which will allow states to have some control on solid waste associated with railroads however President Bush has stated he will veto such a bill. This action should have no effect on Colorado solid waste issues.
International Board: Sprague requested guidance from the Board on the chapter’s stand on where funds should be used once the reserve fund meets the 20% of annual budget goal. Barton/Gordon moved/second that the Colorado SWANA Board supports accelerating training course development by the national SWANA. The reason for the training is that training will attract membership. Motion carried unanimously.
Web site/Webmaster: Postings are updated. No report available on status of sponsorship and advertising.
Newsletter: The next newsletter will be due out in December/January. Consensus was to table article assignments until after the annual meeting.
Road-E-O: See discussion under treasurer’s report above. There is coordination on the last financial details being worked on by Briest, Gillette and the Road-E-O Committee. There are plans underway for 2008. The state winner is going to the 2007 national competition and has a membership.
WasteCon Attendance: The following board members are planning on attending WasteCon: Andrew, Barton, Butler, Gillette, Gordon, and Sprague. All intend on being present for the induction of Laurie Batchelder Adams as the new SWANA president to show the support and pride of the Colorado chapter.
Geotechnical Stakeholder Meeting: The next meeting will be the week of 24 September 2007. CDPHE is working on ways to involve more rural communities in the stakeholder meetings.
Next Board Meeting: The third Tuesday of November is the week of Thanksgiving. The consensus of the members present is to hold the November Board meeting on 13 November 2007 which is the day after the Veteran’s Day holiday. Briest will confirm with The Egg and I on meeting room availability.
With no further business, Sprague/Strickland moved/seconded to adjourn the meeting. Meeting was adjourned at 8:48 am.