Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
8:04 am, April 15, 2008
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions.
Present: John Briest, Stephen Gillette, Tom Strickland, Susie Gordon, Tom Schweitzer, Dick Sprague (recording); Kathy Andrew late (8:28)
Absent: Susie Gordon, Neil Nowak, Dick Sprague
|| * - Member arrived after meeting called to order
** - Member left before meeting ended
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 8:04 am.
Adoption of March Board of Directors meeting minutes – Tom Strickland/Stephen Gillette; Unanimous
ADOPTION OF AGENDA:
Tom Schweitzer/Tom Strickland moved/seconded to adopt the agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
TREASURER - (Gillette):
- The Chapter’s checking account balance is $9,679.70 and savings account balance is 18,873.38. Our E-business loan to SWANA has a balance of $16,253.25, giving total assets of $44,706.33. There are no current liabilities.
- All except one member paid for the February technical program; Gillette to follow up on this. Otero County’s check will be returned.
- We have 18 people pre-registered for the April technical program.
COMMITTEE REPORTS and ASSIGNMENTS:
- Leonard Butler wants to remain a member of CO SWANA.
- Dick sent new member (Mettler scales) information to Kathy.
- Susie and Stephen said that Bruce Philbrick (Loveland) has expressed an interest in seeing CO SWANA sponsor more technical sessions for public sector collection. Is this a wake up call? Several parties (6 or 7) are forming a separate public sector collection group; meeting sometime soon – Stephen to follow up on time and date. This is similar to what Lars Williams said in Rocky Ford. SWANA is not just landfills, recycling, etc. We held a Rod-e-o last year; our Rod-e-os are for collection and transfer vehicles. The Board discussed needing some collection people as directors on the Board since none of the current Board of Directors has much collection experience; Tom Strickland is the closest to this field. Perhaps we should approach Bruce. We have the funds to facilitate some collection activities. It is hard to get collection people on Board because of time commitment. The Annual Conference will have at least one technical session on collection. We could have subcommittee with Board member liaison/reporting back to Board. Tom Strickland to call Bruce asking how we can help.
- Kathy Andrew reported that CO SWANA has 155 active members, four of whom are new members. Two members are inactive. Kathy sent welcome letters and an information packet out to the four new members. 14 members are past due according to the January membership report. These past due members may have renewed, but SWANA slow at posting dues.
Educational Scholarship/Grants (Gordon):
- Susie Gordon will follow up with Roger Doak on Lake County landfill staff person (Jennifer Martinez) who requested and received a training scholarship. The Board wants scholarship recipients to agree to write articles for the newsletter.
- No one applied for a scholarship for today’s technical meeting.
- Stephen Gillette stated that we need to continue giving young people with interest in waste management educational scholarships.
- John Briest reiterated that we could use additional Board members, especially in the collection area.
- Neil Nowak distributed via email a table showing legislation currently under consideration or recently acted upon.
- 2008 has been a quiet year for legislation related to the waste management industry.
International Board (Sprague):
- Dick Sprague said that few IB activities had occurred since Wastecon. He has two conference calls in May and June, then an IB meeting in late June in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Web site/Webmaster (Briest for Doak):
- Erin Doak will have the Beta version of the new webpages available soon.
- John Briest will follow up with Roger Doak on advertising on the website.
- Newsletter did not reach Kathy Andrew. Sprague to resend as soon as possible.
- The Board would like to aim for a July newsletter, which will include ballots for 2008 – 2009 officers. A listing of articles will be developed during the May Board meeting.
OLD BUSINESS (Briest):
- CDPHE’s Geotechnical Working Group will meet again on April 22nd after a lull. This is really a restart of the Working Group following issuance of the guidance document. The working group is developing needed guidance to establish an improved level of consistency in the area of document review, specifically the review of the facility engineering design submittals and as-built construction certification reports. This guidance document is an effort to promote consistency regarding the desired content of such documents and the CDPHE review and approval process.
- Chapter officers’ conference call is scheduled for next week. Debby Barton will attend for the Chapter.
NEW BUSINESS (Briest):
- CAFR’s annual meeting will be May 19th – 20th in Aspen. Since many Board members will be attending, we will hold our May meeting via conference call. Briest will set this up for 7 – 9 AM for that day.
- Summer face-to-face Board meetings were discussed, and June 17th and August 19th were selected. We will hold another conference call meeting on July 15th. The Board agreed that this will be enough for planning the annual meeting.
- Several Board members suggested that we should have conference call capabilities for every board meeting. This may mean we need to plan where meetings are held. Briest to follow up.
- 9:15 am Stephen Gillette/Tom Strickland.
Weaver Boos Consultants, LLC
John Briest, P.E.,
Senior Project Manager
Optimizing resources: water, air, earth
Steve Wampler, P.G., P.E.
Cathryn Stewart, P.G.
Skumatz Economic Research Associates
Consulting to governments and utilities