Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
7:00 am, May 20, 2008, Teleconference
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions.
Present: Kathy Andrew, Debby Barton, John Briest, Roger Doak, Stephen Gillette, Susie Gordon (left at 8 am), Tom Schweitzer, Dick Sprague Cathryn Stewart, Tom Strickland
Absent: Neil Nowak
|| * - Member arrived after meeting called to order
** - Member left before meeting ended
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 7:04 as 10 of 11 directors present for a quorum.
April Board meeting minutes were previously approved.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA:
Briest added a new item for the Road-E-O under New Business. Gillette/Doak moved/seconded to adopt the agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
Gillette reported that the 30 April 2008 balances for checking is $10,489.96 and savings is $18,873.38. For the February program, only one individual’s payment has not been received and it is possible the payment was sent to National instead of Gillette. Doak will follow-up with the individual. For the April program, only one individual had not yet paid and she will be checking into that payment.
COMMITTEE REPORTS and ASSIGNMENTS:
Membership: Andrew reported 155 active members with no new members and 10 unpaid/suspended members. Andrew has found that 9 are no longer with their companies or have moved out of state. Gordon will follow up with Diane Beal.
Discussion continued from the previous month about SWANA chapter being responsive to the needs of the public collection members. Gillette, Gordon and Strickland all spoke with Bruce Philbrick from Longmont. Strickland also discussed issues with Lars Williams from Denver. Both were glad that discussion was ongoing but neither indicated an interest at this time to serve on the SWANA Chapter Board. Both men are meeting with others in the public collection venue to discuss what they see are their needs and how SWANA can help with those needs. Strickland will invite Lars Williams to the next Board meeting. Gillette/Gordon will invite Bruce Philbrick to the next Board meeting.
Lisa Skumatz has asked to conduct a “pay as you throw” workshop which would be 2 to 3 hours. Discussion held that this might be offered on the Friday afternoon after the end of the annual meeting. Stewart, Strickland and Schweitzer (Triple S) will be developing additional speakers and topics lists, however they asked for input from the Board members present.
Doak has obtained a commitment from Air Pollution, Storm Water, and Solid Waste to provide a session on multimedia concerns for solid waste facilities. Gordon recommended a discussion on the recycling grants results for this year. She also provided Stewart with the phone number for Scott Myers to possibly discuss the Colorado Leadership Program and ISO 14001 certification. A topic involving a case study for redevelopment of areas with asbestos in the soil with inclusion of transportation issues. Barton to obtain OSHA contact information to forward to Briest for possible discussion at the annual meeting. Discussion held on a follow up for the Waste Management presentation in October 2007 with status report or possibly a discussion on methane collection systems and their impact on climate change footprints. Laurie Batchelder Adams, National SWANA President, will give a presentation during the lunch. Additional topics and/or speakers should be forwarded to Stewart as soon as possible. A suggestion was made to invite Kaitlyn Edmiston to speak for about five (5) minutes on the value she has received from the scholarships awarded by the Colorado SWANA.
Meals cost is estimated at about $65 per person at the hotel and we are not obligated for any sleeping rooms. The Hotel will hold some in reserve until a month in advance of the meeting and then release any that have not been reserved. Discussion held on when payment for meals is to be made. Strickland will obtain dates for sending in any retainer payments as well as final payments and committed amounts for service.
Bus Tours have been researched with “A Charter Company” being the one preferred for the bus tours. They will charge about $1000 for the two buses which can be configured for 17 to 55 passengers depending on need. There is a booking requirement of $150 per bus ($300 for two buses). Schweitzer/Sprague moved/seconded to make a deposit of $300 to A Charter Company to reserve two buses for the annual meeting bus tour. Motion carried unanimously.
Educational Scholarship/Grants: Jennifer Martinez will be contacted to provide an article for the newsletter per her agreement with the Chapter for receipt of her scholarship. No other scholarship applications have been received to date.
Nominations: See discussion under membership.
Legislative: State session has ended. Briest will contact Nowak about a final report to be posted to the webpage.
International Board: Sprague stated there are two teleconferences before the face to face meeting for the IB on 20 June in Silver Springs, MD. Among the items that may be discussed are dues, Chapters organizations when hosting a team effort meeting such as Utah Beehive with Colorado Rocky Mountain or a Chapter co-hosting an event with another entity such as CAFR or CDPHE. Sprague will report at the June Board meeting what topics will be on the agenda for the IB meeting.
Web site/Webmaster: Erin Doak is behind schedule on getting the Beta version out for the Directors to test on the website. He is working to have ready by the end of May. No presentation has been received for the Geotech presentation in February and Colorado Lining is still working on refining their presentation made in April. Both will be posted to the website when received. Golder wants to become an advertiser again and Doak is working with them. Renewal letters for existing advertisers are scheduled to go out the end of May. Gillette reported that the paypal option for preregistration is working well but it will take time for the membership to access the convenience.
Newsletter: Summer newsletter is planned to go out in July so all assigned or proposed articles are due Sprague no later than 30 June 2008. The following is a list of the proposed topics/assignments:
- President’s Corner (Briest)
- April Technical Session Wrapup (Nowak)
- Annual Meeting Preparation (Stewart, assisted by Strickland and Schweitzer)
- Scholarship – MOLO (Jennifer Martinez)
- Scholarship Potential (Doak)
- Financial (Gillette)
- WasteCon, Tampa – October 2008 (Barton will coordinate draft with Laurie Batchelder Adams)
- Membership – National/State (Andrew)
- IB News (Sprague)
- CAFR Summit Summary (Gordon)
- Recycle Grant Preview (Gordon)
- Website Update (Doak)
- Road-E-O/Collection Topics (Strickland)
Chapter Officer Conference Call: Barton was unable to attend the 24 April conference call; however she brought a few key topics to the Board. First, the International Road-E-O is 27 September with the truck Road-E-O portion in Lexington, KY and the Landfill portion in Louisville, KY. The Kentucky Bluegrass Chapter is hosting. The 13th Annual Landfill and Planning Management Symposium will be in Palm Springs, CA starting 9 June 2008. And finally, WasteCon 2008 is in Tampa, FL 21-23 October with the emphasis on reducing carbon and climate impacts through individual attendee as well as conference efforts. The next Chapter conference call is scheduled for July 24 beginning at noon, Mountain Time.
Road-E-O: Strickland has been working with the volunteer group working on having a Chapter Road-E-O. Tentative location and dates are 26 July 2008 at the Parking Lot in Invesco Field which has been used for police training events. The original site for the Boulder County Fairgrounds is not available. Final date and site is to be determined. Strickland will help with the technical forms and keeping track of income/expenses. Briest will send him the checklist information he has developed for the Road-E-O which includes requirements for insurance, deadline dates, forms and similar information. Strickland will receive payments, collate and forward to Gillette. Consensus among the Board was the Road-E-O was to be a break-even event not counting any stipend to attend the International Event.
CAFR Grant Support Request: This was a holdover from a previous agenda and was deleted.
Next Board Meeting: Discussion held on having face to face meetings during technical sessions or as needed for developing the annual meeting, but to try to use more telephone conference calling. The consensus among the Board members was to have a mix of face to face and telephone conference calls to reduce amount of travel which means a responsibility towards reducing carbon and climate gas impacts by the Board members. The 17 June meeting will be hosted by HDR beginning at 7 am and ending no later than 9:30 am. The 14 July meeting has been set aside as a telephone conference call. The 19 August meeting will be a face to face with a determination on location to be made.
Sprague/Andrew moved/seconded to adjourn the meeting. Meeting adjourned at 8:47 am.