Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors
17 March, 2009, LePeep’s Restaurant, 7156 E County Line Rd, Highlands
Ranch, CO 80126
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order of discussions.
Present: Curt Ahrendsen, Kathy Andrew, Debby Barton,
Cameron Beul, Susie Gordon, Jerry Henderson, Neil Nowak, Tom Schweitzer,
Dick Sprague, Cathryn Stewart, Tom Strickland
Absent: John Briest, Stephen Gillette
Others present: None
- Attendance Notations:
- * - Member arrived after meeting called to order
- ** - Member left before meeting ended
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order by Stewart at 7:09 am as 11 of 13 directors present.
February meeting minutes were previously emailed and approved by
ADOPTION OF AGENDA:
Sprague/Strickland moved/seconded to adopt the
agenda as amended. Motion carried unanimously.
Gillette not present but he had sent a report via email on 11 March
2009 reporting a checking balance of $16,679.33 and a savings balance
of $19,522.02. Discussion held that sponsorships of the annual meeting
may be less due to current economic/financial problems.
COMMITTEE REPORTS and ASSIGNMENTS:
Membership: Andrew unable to give updated numbers
as national had not yet posted the information. She will email a report
once national gets the information update.
- Fugitive Dust/Storm Water Management: Final
draft copy presented to the board. At issue for not sending the brochure
out sooner was the final approval of use of the room at CDPHE. Procedures
have changed in reserving the room and the final approval has not
been obtained. Plans A, B and C were discussed in case location has
to be changed. Schweitzer stated Waste Management has a training
room but due to current fellow tenants use of the parking space,
there is not enough visitor parking to host the meeting. Plan B would
be to check with Geotech Environmental to use their training room
if possible. Plan C is to use the training room at Golder and Associates,
if available which can hold up to 60 people. Edit changes were made
for spelling and dates. Strickland stated that Eric Doak, the webmaster,
takes 2 to 5 days to put a technical program brochure with paypal
links so on-line registration won’t be available until 23 March
at the earliest. Barton will obtain the CEU form from National. The
April Board meeting will be held before the technical session, however
it will start 30 minutes later than normal start time as the facility
will not open until 7:30 am.
- Webinar/Third Quarter training. Sprague did
not have a list of national webinar topics for the third quarter.
Discussion held on whether a defensive driver or Refuse Driver training
would be of benefit and would be attractive for the hauling members
of SWANA. Consensus was to have some of the Board members check with
various entities – private and public to see if there was any
interest. Ahrendsen recommended that any class we host should also
include the caveat of a minimum number to be enrolled to be held.
Stewart, Sprague, Barton, and Strickland will do some follow up contacts
to determine if there is any interest level.
- Logistics: Strickland has a signed contract
with Crowne Plaza Hotel which was approved by e-vote the week of
9 March. He has done some looking at meals with the result of being
$135 to $144 per person for food. Andrew will work with Strickland
to look for alternative dinner locations for Thursday night that
may be much less than the projected $39.93 per person (including
the 21% gratuity. The chapter is not obligated for a minimum number
of sleeping rooms however there is a meeting room usage/rental charge
and we are obligated to have a minimum of $5,000 in food charges
for the entire event.
- Special Items: Gordon suggested that the program
emphasize ways to look for reducing impacts on the environment such
as carpooling or other items. Sprague commented that National will
let the chapter use the carbon offset capabilities. He will check
into the requirements and let the planning committee know. Discussion
held to have a “green” box on the program to discuss
carbon offset, thinking green and also include the scholarship availability
for qualified attendees.
- Sponsors: Nowak is the contact for sponsorship
for the annual meeting. Discussion was held to perhaps give a quick
call now to potential sponsors to have them reserve the date for
the annual meeting and then follow up in June for sponsorship obligation.
- Presentations: Strickland had prepared
a draft time schedule for the annual meeting which needs to be
filled out with topics, speakers and such. Ahrendsen, as the
vice president, will chair the program development committee.
The planning committee will host a conference call the week of
23 March to start roughing out ideas and set timetable. Consensus
was made to send out a tickler news flash via email. Brenna Barrett
will be sending a list of recycling topics to the planning committee.
Last month’s meeting minutes had a summary page of topics
based on the 2008 annual meeting survey. Duane Penny, a new old
member, has indicated an interest in helping with the annual
meeting. Consensus was to send out a tickler notice about the
date and location and announce that topics and presenters welcome
to contact the Chapter.
- Tour: Discussion held on possible tours
to include the Household Hazardous Waste Site, the 94 Landfill,
the Midway Landfill, the tire landfill, the Waste Connections
Landfill. Concerns were raised about the time to travel to the
various landfills in the afternoon. An additional suggestion
was made to visit the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo composting project.
The program committee will work on this.
- Entertainment: Based on the low dancing
participation last year, the consensus was to consider a different
form of entertainment to include possible Karaoke, Cowboy Poet,
or something similar for the Thursday banquet. Barton offered
to provide a list of popular “garbage” songs for
any Karaoke. Andrew contacted a potential artist who is interested
in providing entertainment. Further details will be worked on
by the program committee.
Scholarship: None received. Barton commented that
the school of Mines had sent a letter to her regarding the scholarship
awarded to Marilyn Sparks. Henderson will check on this further. Stewart
shared an article showing SWANA National teaming up with Cornhusker
(Nebraska) through a USDA grant to award college scholarships for the
Nebraska, Wyoming, and South Dakota regional area.
Nominations: Cameron Beul was voted via e-voting
to the Board of directors. Briest not present although there is a resume
from Brenna Barrett to be considered for Board membership.
Legislative: Nowak emailed a table report yesterday
afternoon. Consensus was to send a copy of the table out to the membership
via e-mail. Gordon reported that EPA is looking at changing regulations
as pertains to fly ash monofills which may be a result of the TVA disaster
International Board: Sprague reported that minor
adjustments are being made to some of the administrative procedures
for National. He is involved in writing up the procedures regarding
chapters retaining good standing by having active IB board members
taking part in discussions and voting. The current plan is that if
an IB director misses two consecutive meetings, the chapter will not
longer be considered in good standing. Sprague reported he will be
fully retired from HDR by the first of April and therefore his email
address will change. He will working with HDR through consulting. He
is interested and willing to remain the active IB member for the chapter.
Web site/Webmaster: Strickland reported he has
been working with Erin Doak to update all the minutes and portions
of the web page to be completed. He will be working with Doak to have
the advertisers rotate on to the main home page to give more visual
time for their advertising money. Last year’s Board had approved
adding Google ads on a side bar and this will hopefully be added in
the next few months. Workload accomplishment will be based on priority
list from Strickland to Doak to keep the web page current.
Newsletter: Discussion and assignment of topics
tabled to the April Board meeting. Sprague commented that he will work
with Henderson for the summer newsletter and after June Henderson will
be the primary contact for the newsletter.
Road-E-O: Strickland reported that a planning
meeting will be held in the next few weeks to discuss event planning
to include sponsorship, sending individuals to the Florida International
Event, and costs to hold the event. Concerns have been raised about
impacts of the current economic downturn so Road-E-O participation
may be down. He will keep the Board informed of Road-E-O plans.
Bylaws review: No report at this time.
Next Board Meeting: The next meeting will start
30 minutes later than normal as meeting room will not be available
until 7:30 am. The meeting will be held on Tuesday, 21 April 2009 at
Building A for CDPHE. The May meeting will be a telephone conference
call to begin at 7 am on WEDNESDAY, 20 May 2009. The date was changed
due to potential conflicts with the CAFR Summit being held in Vail
on 18-19 May 2009. The 16 June Board meeting will be at 7 am and hosted
by Golder Associates. Address and directions will be provided before
the June meeting.
With no further business, Sprague/Ahrendsen moved/seconded to
adjourn the meeting. The meeting adjourned at 8:59 am.