Minutes of SWANA Rocky Mountain Chapter Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
21 July 2009, 2400 Union St, Englewood, CO (Recycling America Conference Room)
Present: Curt Ahrendsen**, Kathy Andrew, Brenna
Barrett, Debby Barton, John Briest, Stephen Gillette, Jerry Henderson,
Tom Schweitzer, Dick Sprague, Cathryn Stewart
Absent: Cameron Beul, Susie Gordon, Neil Nowak,
Others present: None
- Attendance Notations:
- * - Member arrived after meeting called to order
- ** - Member left before meeting ended
- *** - Individual joined via telephone conference call
Minutes are in the order of the agenda and not necessarily in order
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order by Stewart
at 7:05 am as 10 of 14 directors present.
June meeting minutes were previously emailed and approved by e-vote.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA:
Agenda was agreed to by consensus.
Gillette stated checking account balance is $16,878.16 and savings
account balance is $19,522.02. To date one sponsor and 1 attendee has
signed up for the annual meeting and 3 people have signed up for the
August Technical program.
COMMITTEE REPORTS and ASSIGNMENTS:
Membership: Andrew reported 159 current members,
no new members, no unpaid members and a reimbursement from National
of $767 for dues. Briest notified Andrew that Logan County will be
having a new member as the existing member is no longer with the county.
He also stated they are interested in the MOLO course and exam.
- Webinar/Third Quarter training: Technical
program has been set. Discussion held on the type of luncheon with
a consensus to have pizza and sodas as something different from lunch
bags or buffet. Stewart will work with Geotech to find local pizza
- Location: Tom Strickland emailed his report
to Stewart. He is sticking with the Crowne Plaza as the meeting location.
Main ballroom will be the Pikes Peak Ballroom. More (below) on media
equipment. Reminder from Strickland to Board members: make hotel
sleeping arrangements with the hotel.
- Program: Ahrendsen went over the draft agenda
for the annual meeting. Barton is still awaiting response from Nancy
Andrews, City of Durango. Discussion held on having Charlotte Pitt
working with the DIA presentation and replacing the presentation
from city/county Denver on the RREO with a rural grantee. Discussion
held on changing some of the moderators. Ahrendsen will finalize
the program and work with the committee during a conference call
next week to finalize for sending out to the membership and putting
the updated program on the website. Sprague will continue to work
with National to determine Carbon offset program and linking for
the state’s annual conference. Discussion held to have some
sort of looping PowerPoint for display in training rooms to show
membership benefits, scholarship, brief information on Colorado History
board, photos, sponsorships and logos, and miscellaneous information.
- Tour: Andrew still waiting for comment back from
Fort Carson on –proposed schedule however any tours will require
a bus for visitors and all visitors must have current photo ID. She
will check into available tour bus and costs. She commented that
El Paso County had rented a 50 passenger bus for $525. She will report
back to the committee and Board.
- Sponsors: Nowak was not present but he has been
working with the sponsors. The ability for sponsors to sign up using
the internet is in place and working. Discussion held on what goal
has been or should be set for sponsorship income. Last year the amount
of sponsorship was about $8,000. Consensus was the goal this year
should be $8,000 to $10,000. Sponsorship board will need to be completed
- More logistics:
- Name tags, ribbons: Barton will follow up
with national to order necessary supplies. She will base numbers
on last year’s attendance and order accordingly.
- Media: Tom Strickland emailed his report to
Stewart, including minimum rental for the following items: large
projection screen for ballroom; amplifier/speakers and microphone
for ballroom; concensus that also need speakers and microhones
for small breakout session rooms, and podiums for large and
small rooms with a request to verify if individual mics would
be needed for the Thursday morning panel. Several folks volunteered
laptops and/or projectors. CDPHE will bring one set, Weaver
Boos will bring computer and projector if available, and AquAeTer
will bring backup computer and projector if available. Barton
will bring projector from Montezuma County Landfill, Sprague
will load all power points onto master computer and for other
training demonstrations (including compaction).
- Raffle/Door prize: Consensus was to have door prizes. Board members requested to be thinking of items for giving out. Further discussion was deferred to the August Board meeting.
- Survey: One question suggested for the new
annual meeting survey would be what technical program would be
beneficial to the member for January 2010.
- Recognition/Awards: Discussion held on determining
an outstanding member. Last year SWANA was approached to award
an outstanding designation to an individual that was not a SWANA
member. The Board determined to not make a presentation to a
non Colorado SWANA member. No further discussion was held to
determine criteria for outstanding member recognition but the
consensus was to continue the discussion in August or through
E-mail. The general consensus was that any recognition should
be for someone who has made a positive impact on the association
and the solid waste industry. Further discussion deferred to
the August Board meeting.
- Entertainment: No discussion.
Scholarship: No report. Discussion held on whether
there should be a limit on any scholarships for the annual meeting.
A consensus in the discussion was reached that up to $100 per scholarship
for no more than 2 scholarships would be set aside at this time for
any scholarship requests to attend the annual meeting. Question was
asked, what if 100 applications were received and the answer was further
discussion would be held or the top two would be chosen/recommended.
Nominations: Briest had no report at this time
but will have a formal ballot ready by the August Board meeting to
be ready to send out between 19 August and 8 September 2009.
Legislative: State legislature in recess – no
report. Nowak has been doing an excellent job of keeping the Board
informed of legislative activity at national level.
International Board: No new report.
Web site/Webmaster: Gillette reported that the
chapter has spent $2,425.40 to date this fiscal year on the website
and bill for $1100 was recently received which has not yet been vetted
by Strickland. Discussion held on whether we have a current signed
contract or not. Discussion held on whether or not it may be time to
request a competitive bid for our current webmaster for a new contract
to be issued 1 November. Further discussion was tabled as Strickland
was not present.
Newsletter: The summer newsletter went out and
Sprague thanked Henderson for a job well done. Henderson requested
that Board members take pictures are various functions of the Chapter
to help with future newsletters.
Road-E-O: This year’s event was cancelled
with a goal to hold the event next year.
Bylaws review: Report drafted by Mark McMullen
was given to the Board members present. Barton went through them and
made verbal recommendations of which ones to change as well as which
ones should be further considered. In particular, changes to Articles
3.6, 4.3, 6.2, 6.12, 7.5.2, 10.1, and 10.4 will be proposed. Further
discussion should be held on membership in chapter versus Association,
special meeting requirements, term of office, elections by ballot and
opening floor vote during the annual meeting, and membership committee
SWANA History Project: No report.
Air Quality Guidance Document Stakeholder Interest: Briest and Stewart
have finalized the letter to CDPHE-Air Pollution Division offering
the services of Colorado SWANA to help develop guidance checklists
for solid waste facilities in the same manner as the solid waste unit
which will be sent out this week by Stewart.
MOLO Training Offering: Defer discussion to the August
First Quarter 2010 Training offering: Discussion
held whether to have a MOLO but the MOLO is 3.5 days. Further discussion
was deferred to the August board meeting or pending decision to have
on the annual meeting survey.
Next Board Meeting: The next Board meeting
will be 7 am, Tuesday, 18 August 2009 at 2650 E 40th Ave, Denver in
the Geotech Conference Room. The technical session will immediately
follow the Board meeting. Stewart to check with Geotech about call-in
conferencing capability, so folks such as Gordon won’t have to
miss another board meeting.
Briest/Sprague moved/seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Motion carried and meeting adjourned at 09:02 am.